Monday, July 27, 2009

Baring Bakers' Mallow Milan Madness

My mind is all about ice creams right now. It's just too hot to think about anything else. It's too hot to bake cookies. It's too hot to dip things in chocolate. What? That's what the Daring Bakers' challenge is all about this month? I'd rather have an ice cream... Fine, I'll do it... But only if I can trick myself into thinking they are ice creams!

Marshmallow Popsicles

The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.

I've made 3 types of "ice cream" popsicles:

  • Vanilla marshmallows covered with dark chocolate and coconut
  • Peanut butter marshmallows covered with milk chocolate and nuts
  • Strawberry marshmallows covered with white chocolate and sprinkles

Peanut butter and milk chocolate heavenly popsicle

Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies (Popsicles)

  • 3 cups (375grams/13.23oz) all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (112.5grams/3.97oz) white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I've used vanilla)
  • 12 tablespoons (170grams/6 oz) unsalted butter
  • 3 eggs, whisked together
  • Homemade marshmallows, recipe follows
  • Chocolate glaze, recipe follows

In a mixer with the paddle attachment, blend the dry ingredients. On low speed, add the butter and mix until sandy. Add the eggs and mix until combine. Form the dough into a disk, wrap with clingfilm or parchment and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 3 days. When ready to bake, grease a cookie sheet or line it with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thickness, on a lightly floured surface. Use a 1 to 1 1/2 inches cookie cutter to cut out small rounds of dough. (I've used a popsicle stencil and cut the dough around it with a knife. I've also inserted a wood stick before baking to make the popsicles). Transfer to the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool to room temperature. Pipe a “kiss” of marshmallow onto each cookie. (I've poored my marshmallow mixture onto a tray and then cut the same popsicle shape and place them on the cookies) Let set at room temperature for 2 hours. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or silicon mat. One at a time, gently drop the marshmallow-topped cookies into the hot chocolate glaze. Lift out with a fork and let excess chocolate drip back into the bowl. Place on the prepared pan and let set at room temperature until the coating is firm, about 1 to 2 hours.

A bite into the peanut butter & milk chocolate popsicle

Homemade marshmallows

  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 3/4 cup (168.76 grams/5.95oz) sugar
  • 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
  • 2 egg whites , room temperature
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp strawberry jam

In a saucepan, combine the water, corn syrup, and sugar, bring to a boil until “soft-ball” stage, or 235 degrees on a candy thermometer. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and let dissolve. Remove the syrup from the heat, add the gelatin, and mix. Whip the whites until soft peaks form and pour the syrup into the whites. Add the vanilla and continue whipping until stiff. (I've divided my mixture into 3 parts, I left one simple and added peanut butter to other and strawberry jam to the last one). Transfer to a pastry bag.

Cheerful strawberry & white chocolate popsicle

Chocolate glaze

  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate
  • 2 ounces cocoa butter or vegetable oil

Melt the 2 ingredients together in the top of a double boiler or a bowl set over barely simmering water.

Classic vanilla & dark chocolate popsicle

I haven't forgotten about the Milan cookies either, a clone of Milano Cookies. I used to love the original ones, but I decided to go with other flavours and made them bite size.

Orange & chinese five spice Milan cookies filled with dulce de leche ganache

Milan Cookies

  • 12 tablespoons (170grams/ 6 oz) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 1/2 cups (312.5 grams/ 11.02 oz) powdered sugar
  • 7/8 cup egg whites (from about 6 eggs)
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons lemon extract
  • 1 1/2 cups (187.5grams/ 6.61 oz) all purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder (for the chocolate ones)
  • zest of an orange + 1 tsp Chinese five spice (for the 5 spice-orange ones)
  • Cookie filling, recipe follows

Cookie filling

  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (I've used half milk, half white chocolates)
  • 2 tbsp dulce de leche (for the milk chocolate)
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract (for the white chocolate)

Chocolate Milan cookies with white chocolate peppermint ganache

In a mixer with paddle attachment cream the butter and the sugar. Add the egg whites gradually and then mix in the vanilla and lemon extracts. Add the flour and mix until just well mixed. (At this point I divided the batter in half, adding the cocoa powder to one part and the orange & spice to the other). With a small (1/4-inch) plain tip, pipe 1-inch sections of batter onto a parchment-lined sheet pan, spacing them 2 inches apart as they spread. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan. While waiting for the cookies to cool, in a small saucepan over medium flame, scald cream. Pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl, whisk to melt chocolate, blend well. (I've divided the cream in half and used white chocolate with peppermint extract for half, and milk chocolate with dulce de leche for the other). Set aside to cool (the mixture will thicken as it cools). Spread a thin amount of the filling onto the flat side of a cookie while the filling is still soft and press the flat side of a second cookie on top. Repeat with the remainder of the cookies.

I'll have one of each please!

At the end of the day, hot or cold, cookies, chocolates or ice creams, it's all delicious in my world!

80 comments:

Selba said...

Wow! What a great idea to make marshmallow cookies into Popsicle!

RecipeGirl said...

GREAT idea. They all look fabulous!!!

VeggieGirl said...

AHHHH love 'em!! :-D

Jo said...

Haha ... Why am I not surprise that you will pull something out of the hat again? Absolutely brilliant and I love the idea totally!

FFichiban said...

OOhhh woow these popsicles are so cuutte and look sooo tastyy! I want the PB onnnee XD!

Andrea said...

Holy marshmallow cookies! I'd like one of those strawberry marshmallow popsicles, please.

Palidor said...

Awww, these are soooo cute!

Loie said...

Great presentation! I might try that when I give the Mallows a second shot!

Audax said...

LOVELY so cute so delish who wouldn't adore these wonderful looking treats a marvellous idea. Bravo bravo bravo on your fabulous work. Cheers from Audax in Australia

Jen Yu said...

Love the creativity and variety in your challenge this month. The pops are soooo cute. Great job :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

I love the idea to make popsicles out of the marshmallow cookies - they look wonderful!

Lisa Michelle said...

Rita, that seals it, you are one of the most creative bakers I have ever had the pleasure of knowing virtually! I am in love with those popsicles, especially the peanut butter-milk chocolate and strawberry-white chocolate. Oh, and your regular mallows are fantastic too, as are the Milans! Everything is gorgeous!

sarahe said...

i'm so impressed by your creativity! those look absolutely delish!

oneordinaryday said...

How creative! Love your take on the challenge. I'll tell ya, I'd like to get my hands on that peanut butter/chocolate covered dream on a stick you've got there. Looks wonderful!

Bob said...

Those look awesome! Very creative. :)

noble pig said...

I love your versions...you are aways so cool like that!

Katrina said...

Oh my, I would like one of each, too! They won't melt shipping them over here, will they? ;)
That pb/choc one looks amazing. What a great idea. And how dare I look at this after a weekend of indulging and a resolve not to eat junk (or bake) for a while. Sigh.

Julie (Willow Bird Baking) said...

Gorgeous popsicles!! I LOVE this idea! So creative.

Zita said...

I couldn't wait to read your post since I saw your pics on the forum, is again amazingly creative :)

Ingrid said...

Those are fantastic and really look like popsicles! Very creative!
~ingrid

Rose @ Bite Me Kitchen said...

WOW! You really outdid yourself! gorgeous!! I love the mallow pops! SO CUTE!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love the idea of a marshmellow popsicle! You're so creative!

Madeleine said...

Buen truco el de las paletitas!! parecen paletas que acá llamamos "esquimales" :)

Yo apenas ayer domingo me aventé a hacer las galletitas milano, mañana las pongo en el blog!! te quedaron super buenas con esos cambios!!! :)

Ivy said...

I REALLY want one of those marshmallow pops but, I am too lazy to make them myself.LOL.

Lauren said...

Wow! Love the idea of popsicles =D. They look amazingly delicious!!

Y said...

How cuuuute! Fantastic idea :)

Kat said...

The popsicles are great. Such a cute idea! They would be the perfect addition to a summer pool party.

Jill said...

What a fabulous idea!! I love the popsicle shape and they just look so delicious!

Talita said...

Aqui está bem frio, mas é quando tenho mais vontade de sorvete. Amei esses picolés! Deu uma vontaaaade de experimentar...!

Jaime said...

wow, you are so creative!!!

dannah5 said...

This is indecent!!
U should be warned, the content is extremely catastrofic to people during diet! -_-

Hey, do u think that is cool to kids party? do u have another sugestion to an ocasion like that?

Really lovelly!!

Thanks! :D

Lina said...

perfect summer snacks. I need to get back into Daring bakers. Ive been slacking

cookienurse said...

Oh my! Your popsicles look divine!

chou said...

Jajajajaja! Popsicles! This just makes me dance with joy.

Namratha said...

This is a super duper idea, bravo!

Sara said...

WHOA, peanut butter marshmallows?! That sounds SO amazing. :) I definitely have to try that variation!

Leslie said...

DAMN you..you are sooo creative!

Millionaire said...

They are so cute n yummy!!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great job! Your cookies look wonderful! I love those lollies!

Cheers,

Rosa

morgana said...

Me encanta la idea de presentarlos como helados, así no te pringas los dedos con el chocolate, que con el calor que hace...

Me han gustado estos "mallows", a ver si tengo oportunidad de seguir probando cuando pase el calor. Me apetece hacer alguno de café y también de naranja.

Jo, no puedo venir a ver tu blog a estas horas, me entra un hambre de dulce impresionante y ya me sobran demasiados kilos, pero no escarmiento. ;-)

sunita said...

You are so ctreative. Love your lollies, oops,i mean cookies :-D

Aparna said...

Love your cookie icecreams. Every bit an original and great for the summer, huh? :)

Ruth said...

As usual you rocked the challenge!!

Paula Pacheco said...

Por isso adoro visitar os blogs...cada coisa gostosa e quanta criatividade...parabens...adorei..aliás meus filhos é que vão...

bjs,
Paula.

Adam said...

Rita, you're as irresistable as ice cream on a summer day. Marshmallow ice cream, with chocolate glaze, and a big smile :)

I knew those took a bit of work, but they are absolutely fantastic. Which one was your fav? I'm a strawberry fan, so hopefully those were good. But then again, you've never steered me wrong!

♥Deeba @Passionate About Baking♥ said...

Was here yesterday for an ice-cream. Just gorgeous as always, & ever so creative! I'm gonna think of you as Creative Cookie!! saw these on the forum & was enchanted!! Well done on both...I just managed the Mallows!♥

CookiePie said...

WOW - what an amazing assortment, so many wonderful flavor combos. And they all look so beautiful!!

Cakebrain said...

I just love seeing cross-sections of food! The pics are making my mouth water! yum! I particularly enjoyed your post's alliterative title!

kellypea said...

Your creativity is astounding! Such a cool idea to create popsicles and coat them all differently. Brings back memories of the cheesecake pops ; )

Reeni♥ said...

I'd like one of each, please!! Those are just over the top. Such yummy treats!!!

Natashya said...

You are so brilliant! They are gorgeous and totally inspired.

Maggie said...

This is a great idea! The strawberry/white chocolate ones would be my favorite.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Love how you always come up with something awesomely creative!! The popsicles can really play with a person's mind!! Is it an ice cream, a cookie, WHAT?? :P
And love your flavor choices!

Bentayga con sabor said...

Wow wow...que buena y divertida idea has tenido,son geniales,aparte tienen una pinta riquisima y con esos sabores hum hum...

Emily said...

Too cute! They all look scrumptious.

Colloquial Cook said...

You never know what happens in a Clumbsy Cookie's mind! It's a crazy world in there but I love it! You are definitely on the other side of the mirror, girly.

Sophie said...

This is so cute, what a fun take on the challenge. These would sell great as party favors!

Juliana said...

Great idea...not only for kids :-)

cutecute28 said...

aw... great post. fantastic and yummy. oh my god i love the pictures.

The Keeper said...

They are lovely :)

Engineer Baker said...

Dang, peanut butter. I'm there, I am sooo there. Great and unique presentation of the challenge!

cookies and cups said...

How cool! Love your adaptation~ very fun idea!

pigpigscorner said...

That's very creative! Great idea!

Kerstin said...

I love your cute little popsicles, how creative!

linda said...

Love your take on the cookies, delicious!

Dawn said...

ok ok, so you know I'm married and all. If I get divorced, you know I am coming after you. I must have your talent all to myself--mwah ha ha ha!
That strawberry one killed me...love that.

Science Bloggers Association said...

Nice Blog. Congrats.
-Zakir Ali ‘Rajnish’
{ Secretary-TSALIIM & SBAI }
[Editor- Children’s Poem & Adult’s Poem]

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Homemade Mallomars on a stick! I love it. Sorry you still had to bake though.

Your Milano variations look equally wonderful.

Marta said...

OK, serisouly, those marshmallow lollies are absolutely gorgeous and SOOOOOO cute. I normally don't like marshmallows, but those even look tempting to me.
And what a creative combination of flavours for your Milano.
Brava!!!!

Jennifer said...

how fun is this?! My lil ones (and hubby) would love to have some of these. thanks for sharing

Irmina Díaz-Frois Martín said...

Hello! I like every thing. Kis.

Zen Chef said...

Oh my God this looks so insanely good Rita! What are you doing this to me. I'm at home and there's nothing in the refrigerator, no junk food laying around. Nothing!

Can you hear my stomach going ... grrrrrrr?

fioricet online said...

Cool creation. Looks delicious, I can't wait to make one of these and present to my nieces and nephews. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Nikki said...

I thought they were popsicles at first! They lool yummy! :)

Nikki said...

Opps I meant look

Brentwood Kitchen Shopper said...

These look delicious! The Milan cookie has to be tried!

Dragon said...

I don't know which one I want to try first. I want them all!

Zesty Cook said...

WOW those look amazingly fun! Love it

Anna said...

Those are adorable! Glad you are back :)

Sorry my blog called you a spammer. It's being mean and spiteful today.

Valerie said...

Obviously this is super-fabulous by the number of comments. Just had to add another one to say that it's so cute! Great idea!