Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tiny Tiramisu

Yep, I did say it was tiny...

The February 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen and Deeba of Passionate About Baking. They chose Tiramisu as the challenge for the month. Their challenge recipe is based on recipes from The Washington Post, Cordon Bleu at Home and Baking Obsession.

I was given these adorable tiny chocolate cups at Christmas and since then I’ve been waiting for an opportunity to use them. The Daring Bakers’ Tiramisu was the perfect excuse! Aren’t they cute? Not to mention that they’re so tiny, that you don’t even have to worry about eating a couple, or 3 or 4 or…

TIRAMISU COMPONENTS:
  • 2 cups/470ml brewed espresso, warmed
  • 1 teaspoon/5ml rum extract (optional)- I've used white chocolate liquor
  • 1/3 cup/75gms mascarpone cheese
  • 36 savoiardi/ ladyfinger biscuits (you may use less)
  • 2 tablespoons/30gms unsweetened cocoa powder
  • Tiramisu cream made with pastry cream, whipped cream and zabaglione

LADYFINGERS/ SAVOIARDI BISCUITS

(Recipe from Cordon Bleu At Home), makes approximately 24 big ladyfingers or 45 small ladyfingers)
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 6 tablespoons /75gms granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup/95gms cake flour, sifted (or 3/4 cup all purpose flour + 2 tbsp corn starch)
  • 6 tablespoons /50gms confectioner's sugar

Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C) degrees, then lightly brush 2 baking sheets with oil or softened butter and line with parchment paper.Beat the egg whites using a hand held electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gradually add granulate sugar and continue beating until the egg whites become stiff again, glossy and smooth.In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks lightly with a fork and fold them into the meringue, using a wooden spoon. Sift the flour over this mixture and fold gently until just mixed. It is important to fold very gently and not overdo the folding. Otherwise the batter would deflate and lose volume resulting in ladyfingers which are flat and not spongy.Fit a pastry bag with a plain tip (or just snip the end off; you could also use a Ziploc bag) and fill with the batter. Pipe the batter into 5" long and 3/4" wide strips leaving about 1" space in between the strips (I've made little round buttons). Sprinkle half the confectioner's sugar over the ladyfingers and wait for 5 minutes. The sugar will pearl or look wet and glisten. Now sprinkle the remaining sugar. This helps to give the ladyfingers their characteristic crispness.Hold the parchment paper in place with your thumb and lift one side of the baking sheet and gently tap it on the work surface to remove excess sprinkled sugar.Bake the ladyfingers for 10 minutes, then rotate the sheets and bake for another 5 minutes or so until the puff up, turn lightly golden brown and are still soft.Allow them to cool slightly on the sheets for about 5 minutes and then remove the ladyfingers from the baking sheet with a metal spatula while still hot, and cool on a rack.Store them in an airtight container till required. They should keep for 2 to 3 weeks.

MASCARPONE CHEESE

(Vera’s Recipe for Homemade Mascarpone Cheese, makes 12oz/ 340gm of mascarpone cheese)

  • 500 ml whipping (36 %) pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized), preferably organic cream
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a wide skillet. Reduce the heat to medium-low so the water is barely simmering. Pour the cream into a medium heat-resistant bowl, then place the bowl into the skillet. Heat the cream, stirring often, to 190 F. If you do not have a thermometer, wait until small bubbles keep trying to push up to the surface.It will take about 15 minutes of delicate heating. Add the lemon juice and continue heating the mixture, stirring gently, until the cream curdles. Do not expect the same action as you see during ricotta cheese making. All that the whipping cream will do is become thicker, like a well-done crème anglaise. It will cover a back of your wooden spoon thickly. You will see just a few clear whey streaks when you stir. Remove the bowl from the water and let cool for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, line a sieve with four layers of dampened cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Transfer the mixture into the lined sieve. Do not squeeze the cheese in the cheesecloth or press on its surface (be patient, it will firm up after refrigeration time). Once cooled completely, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate (in the sieve) overnight or up to 24 hours.Vera’s notes: The first time I made mascarpone I had all doubts if it’d been cooked enough, because of its custard-like texture. Have no fear, it will firm up beautifully in the fridge, and will yet remain lusciously creamy.Keep refrigerated and use within 3 to 4 days.

WHITE CHOCOLATE TIRAMISU CREAM

For the zabaglione:

  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 3 tablespoons sugar/50gms
  • 1/4 cup/60ml Marsala wine (I've used white chocolate licor)

For the vanilla pastry cream:

  • 1/4 cup/55gms sugar
  • 1 tablespoon/8gms all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon/ 2.5ml vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 3/4 cup/175ml whole milk
  • 60 gr/ 2oz white chocolate (chopped)

For the whipped cream (I forgot to use it!!!):

  • 1 cup/235ml chilled heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup/55gms sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon/ 2.5ml vanilla extract

For the zabaglione: Heat water in a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, place a pot with about an inch of water in it on the stove. Place a heat-proof bowl in the pot making sure the bottom does not touch the water.In a large mixing bowl (or stainless steel mixing bowl), mix together the egg yolks, sugar, the Marsala (or white chocolate liquor). Whisk together until the yolks are fully blended and the mixture looks smooth.Transfer the mixture to the top of a double boiler or place your bowl over the pan/ pot with simmering water. Cook the egg mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 8 minutes or until it resembles thick custard. It may bubble a bit as it reaches that consistency.Let cool to room temperature and transfer the zabaglione to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight, until thoroughly chilled.

For the pastry cream: Mix together the sugar, flour and vanilla extract in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. To this add the egg yolk and half the milk. Whisk until smooth.Now place the saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly to prevent the mixture from curdling.Add the remaining milk a little at a time, still stirring constantly. After about 12 minutes the mixture will be thick, free of lumps and beginning to bubble. Add the chopped white chocolate and mix until it's melted. Transfer the pastry cream to a bowl and cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight, until thoroughly chilled.

For the whipped cream: Combine the cream, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric hand mixer or immersion blender until the mixture holds stiff peaks. Set aside.

To assemble the Tiramisu (the traditional way): Mix together the warm espresso and liquor whisking to mix well. Set aside to cool.In a large bowl, beat the mascarpone cheese with a spoon to break down the lumps and make it smooth. This will make it easier to fold. Add the prepared and chilled zabaglione and pastry cream, blending until just combined. Gently fold in the whipped cream. Set this cream mixture aside.Workings quickly, dip 12 of the ladyfingers in the sweetened espresso, about 1 second per side. They should be moist but not soggy. Immediately transfer each ladyfinger to the platter, placing them side by side in a single row. You may break a lady finger into two, if necessary, to ensure the base of your dish is completely covered.Spoon one-third of the cream mixture on top of the ladyfingers, then use a rubber spatula or spreading knife to cover the top evenly, all the way to the edges.Repeat to create 2 more layers, using 12 ladyfingers and the cream mixture for each layer. Clean any spilled cream mixture; cover carefully with plastic wrap and refrigerate the tiramisu overnight.To serve, carefully remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle the tiramisu with cocoa powder using a fine-mesh strainer or decorate as you please. Cut into individual portions and serve.

My notes: I went with a white chocolate theme on this one, I’ve used it instead of the Marsala, in the pastry cream and mixed with the coffee instead of the rum. I’ve also made the biscuits very small and round to fit the little chocolate cups, and used only one at the bottom. I topped it with the tiramisu cream (made without the whipped cream because I completely forgot! Oh well, less fat then…). I finished with the traditional dust of cocoa powder and immediately popped a couple into my mouth!

Can I call it Tiramisyummm?!

97 comments:

Maria said...

That is the cutest dessert I think I have ever seen! LOVE IT!

Zen Chef said...

Lol.. You are clever and awesome Rita! I love these. :)
Hugs*

Mary said...

Those are absolutely adorable! I didn't realize the cups were chocolate at first. Very original and delicious too, I'm sure.

tariqata said...

I don't think that there are words to express how awesomely cute these are!

Eliana said...

This is the cutest tiramisu I have ever seen. I love it.

Cristine said...

That is the most adorable tiramisu I have ever seen!

Lisa said...

just beautiful! I love the shot of all the components laid out - such wonderful creative thinking with the little cups.

Vera said...

Pure Genius, Rita!!!

Anzj said...

Probably everybody will say this, but I lóve those chocolate cups. And you had something there, filling them with this month's challenge. Nice.

Y said...

So cute! My kind of tiramisu, for sure :)

Cathy said...

OMG, those little cups are absolutely adorable!

Suzler said...

How do you manage to outdo yourself everytime? Every single time! These are adorable. Wow, chocolate cups. :D

ap269 said...

This is the cutest thing I've ever seen. Soooo adorable!

Gala said...

No way! This is so cuteee!
I would be poppin' these in my mouth all day long!

chef_d said...

So cute!! I loooooooove your tiny tiramisu! They are adorable :)

Amy Lucille said...

Absolutely adorable!

Sara said...

Eeeeeeeee, so cute!!! Adorable (and delicious!)

zita said...

Tiny but with a big brilliant idea... love it :)

Bob said...

Heh, that is awesome. I bet it's tasty too!

dawn said...

how fabulous is that? you are so creative! how are you? haven't talked to you in ages....

Ellie said...

Stunning tiramisu. Very nice presentation. Well done :)

Misty said...

Mere words cannot possibly convey the awesomeness herein!

Chou said...

:) words cannot convey how great this is.

Lauren said...

Hehe! I love it =D. I always love what you do with the challenges and this is no exception!

Dragon said...

Wow! Your Tiramisu is lovely. :) Great job on this challenge!

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

I actually saw these in Whole Foods this week. I thought they were so adorable. Nice job!

Halfandhalfs said...

I know you said tiny tiny tiny in the Daring Bakers forum, but until I saw one of those chocolate cups in hand I didn't realize just how small they really were. The most adorable dessert ever!

Deeba PAB said...

You call 'em anything dahling, Tiramisyummm or whatever, I call them utterly charming and precious. They are calling my name...WOW!!

Lotte said...

i love your site... this tiny things are so cute!

Aparna said...

They're bite-sized Tiarmisu. HOw cute! I knew there would be something different here. :)
Thanks for baking with us.

Jenny said...

Those are just absolutely adorable, and then the yummyness on top of that...drool! Wonderful work as always!

jose manuel said...

Que ricura de receta. Gracias y un saludo desde España

Chef Aimee said...

So adorable! What an exquisite dessert!

MeetaK said...

these are too cute! perfect - but i think i will need quite a few of these to satisfy my desire!

Sharon Graves said...

My favorite version posted yet! Love it.

Poires au Chocolat said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! The white chocolate and the tiny cups and savoiardi... wonderful work.

linda said...

OMG that is so cute!! I can just imagine serving it as petite fours

shelley c. said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Those are SO cute. GREAT job!!

Laura said...

Sooooooo cute!! Wonderful!

Cakebrain said...

What an innovative idea for chocolate cups! I think your idea was inspirational!

Emily said...

Those are soooo cute! I love it! You are a genius.

morgana said...

¿Qué puedo decir? Que me encantaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Eres genial. Viéndote echo de menos particiar en esta locura de las Daring Bakers. Pero sigo sin tener tiempo. :-(((

Es el tiramisú más mono que he visto en mi vida.

Dolce said...

They are the cutest! I love the idea of the eatable chocolate cups to have them in! Yum!

Happy Cook said...

Tehy are the cutest tiramisu i have evern seen. Wish i could grab one of those cute and delcious cups.

bakingit said...

That is so cute!!! (It deserves 3 exclamation marks!)

Mrs Ergül said...

This is the most adorable tiramisu I have ever seen!!

Lisa Michelle said...

OMG, Rita..those are so amazing!!! I knew you would come up with something cool, but you really blew me away this time. SO CUTE and what a great idea! LOVE them!!

sunita said...

Aww, this has got to be the cutest tiramisu. Rita, you do come up with some totally unexpected and amazing creations. Absolutely delightful :-)

Moira said...

So cute and yummmy :)
It is a fantastic ideia.
Saludos desde Portugal

Katrina said...

Oh my gosh, Rita, those are so cute and awesome! I didn't realize it was all edible in your first photo, but as soon as you said chocolate, I was all over it. Or at least I wish I was. Yes, 3 or 4, please! ;)
You never cease to amaze....

linda said...

Excellent way to use those cute cups! Challenge well done!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Those are just so cute! Well use for this challenge as well. Hats off

How To Be Perfect said...

Cutest thing ever! Your on my blog roll and when the little thumbnail of this came up I nearly died! Love it x

HoneyB said...

Absolutely adorable! I love them. Of course, I would definitely have to eat more than one!

Brisbane Baker said...

Adoreable and delicious!

I love your take on this :D

Check me out:

www.brisbanebaker.blogspot.com

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

How adorable. I love doing individual desserts. One of my favorite restaurants makes individual tiramisu in wine glasses, but this is WAY cuter, plus you can eat the container - huge plus!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Oh my goodness--they look so fun, and I imagine they taste out-of-this-world!

• friX • said...

How amazingly cute!

Memória said...

Your tiramisù is cute!!

M. said...

OMG! these look and sound divine and decadent!!! what an amazing idea and zabaglione, which is my favorite desert( no easy to find in restaurants) included in tiramisu....amazing!!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! these look amazing!! any idea where i can get the little cups from??

m x

Suzana said...

Pois também recebi umas tacinhas de presente - aí está uma ideia para lhes dar uso. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

Muitos beijos!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have developed a new clean web 2.0 wordpress theme.

Has 2 colours silver and blue, has custom header(colour or image).
I am curently working on it, so if you have suggestions let me know.

You can view live demo and download from here www.getbelle.com
If you found bug reports or you have suggestions pm me.
Wish you a happing using.

many thanks to [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com/]USAInstantPayDay.com[/url] for helping with hosting and developement of the theme
Blerryrileasy

nakedbeet said...

Absolutely adorable!

Lori said...

Super adorable. You so used this gift at the perfect time. Beautiful!

Stef said...

Love the tiny chocolate cups! So adorable!

Baking Addict said...

I LOVE the chocolate cups. So cool :)

Cristina @ TeenieCakes said...

How adorable and creative! They're bite-sized and dangerous.

Liz said...

These are completely precious! LOVE them.

fairy_mi said...

wow, what an amazing idea-
it must be the cutest tiramisu i've ever seen :)
Absolutly stunning

soulsearcher said...

cute and brilliant..tiny tiramisu..probably perfect to consider one of my daughter gifts ideas this year..nice

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

That is adorable and a fabulous idea! I love seeing all the DB posts as everyone is getting more and more creative!

Dina said...

this is the cutest dessert I've ever seen! I love mini things!

pigpigscorner said...

Genius! Very creative!

jillian said...

I got very similar cup molds for a gift and this looks like a great way to use them!

Ingrid said...

Man! You're so creative! I never think of anything clever until i'm done and that's if it happens!

Fantastic job!
~ingrid

Marisa said...

These are so freakin cute! I could definitely polish off a couple of them in one go. NOM.

CookiePie said...

Those cups are TOO CUTE!! Love your tiramisu-lets!

Juliana said...

Wow, these tiramisu are the cutest thing that I've seen...look fabulous and great for entertaining :-)

Leslie said...

you always amaze me with your "out of the box" ideas!

pity said...

absolutely divine! a one bite tiramisu, brilliant! well done, cheers from london

The Blonde Duck said...

How cute!

Erica said...

That looks so cute and delicious! Love your blog.

Patty said...

You have got to put a "cuteness attack" warning label on this post! Adorable!

Nachiketa said...

sooooo cute... these cups were such a lovely idea.....

now we won't have to lick the yummy tramisu off the bowl......
The Variable - Nachiketa
Crazy Over Desserts - The Variable, Nachiketa
clear

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Haha this is probably the cutest thing ever!! Wow!

Zesty Cook said...

WOW this looks electric! I love it.... incredible job.

Lisa said...

I love mini things...these are so unique!

Melissa Brinley said...

DELISH!

trulyepicurious.blogspot.com

Kristy - Where's My Damn Answer said...

LOVE these - especially the chocolate cups. VERY cool!

Mama Mia said...

too cute! I love it!

Peabody said...

So, so, sooooo cute.

Cindy said...

These remind me of thimble cookies.

Amy said...

wow...That's the best dessert I wanna make..I can't wait to try at home.. It's really amazing, looks so yummy..

mermaid1111 said...

so cute and i would love to eat one, but marscapone is made from the milk of cows fed with certain herbs and flowers so i'm wondering how the homemade version here can still be called marscapone.regardless,this is a wonderful idea.

Bake...Mistake? said...

Wow you're blogs amazing! I love your creations! Any tips for me, I'm trying to learn how to bake (www.bakemistake.blogspot.com) failed at meringues today!!

Anita said...

Adorable tiny dessert. Fabulous idea. Love your blog, great recipes and photos. Thanks for posting.