Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It's steaming hot here!

So it’s that time of the month, Daring Bakers' time!

The April 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Esther of The Lilac Kitchen. She challenged everyone to make a traditional British pudding using, if possible, a very traditional British ingredient: suet*.

* I could't find suet here so I've used one of the alternatives: lard.

I’ve done a few steamed cakes before, but in one of those special ovens that have that option. In a restaurant I used to do a chestnut steamed cake that was to die for. But steaming a cake like this (in a pan) it was something new to me. I went with the sponge type recipe provided and did 2 flavors: Hazelnut-Nutella and Peanut Butter Cup. And just for fun I also steamed a Chocolate Chip Cookie!

Here are some step-by-step pictures and the recipes I’ve used:

My pan ready to steam, with my homemade steamer: a round cooling rack. I’ve used small containers, first because they are cute and second because they take less time to cook (that means less waiting time to eat).

This is my "Peanut Butter Cup" inspired steamed cake. It doesn’t contain actual Peanut butter cups, but it’s like a giant one: a chocolate sponge with a peanut butter filling. Yum!

Steamed “Peanut Butter Cup” Pudding

  • (100 grams/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
  • (1/4 teaspoon) salt
  • (1.5 teaspoons) baking powder
  • (100 grams/4 ounces) vanilla cake crumbs
  • (75 grams/3 ounces) caster sugar
  • (75 grams/ 3 ounces) lard
  • (1) large egg
  • (6 to 8 tablespoons) Cold milk
  • 3 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2/3 cup peanut butter

Sift flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking powder into bowl. Add cake crumbs, sugar and lard. Mix to a soft batter with beaten egg and milk. Turn half the batter into a buttered 1 litre/ 2pint pudding basin. Add the peanut butter in the middle and top with the rest of the batter. Cover securely with buttered greaseproof paper or aluminum foil. Steam steadily for 2.5 to 3 hours (mine took less time because I’ve used smaller containers). Turn out onto warm plate, Serve with sweet sauce to taste such as custard, caramel or a sweetened fruit sauce.

Let's peek inside?

Do you like the look of this one? Or do you think you'll like the Hazelnut-Nutella best?

Nutella. Enough said.

Steamed Hazelnut-Nutella Pudding

  • (100 grams/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
  • (1/4 teaspoon) salt
  • (1.5 teaspoons) baking powder
  • (100 grams/4 ounces) toasted, skinned and grinded hazelnuts
  • (75 grams/3 ounces) caster sugar
  • (75 grams/ 3 ounces) lard
  • (1) large egg
  • (6 to 8 tablespoons) cold milk
  • 2/3 cup Nutella

Sift flour, salt and baking powder into bowl. Add hazelnuts, sugar and lard. Mix to a soft batter with beaten egg and milk. Turn half of the batter into a buttered 1 litre/ 2pint pudding basin. Add the Nutella in the middle and cover with the rest of the batter. Cover securely with buttered greaseproof paper or aluminum foil. Steam steadily for 2.5 to 3 hours (mine took less time because I’ve used smaller containers). Turn out onto warm plate, Serve with sweet sauce to taste such as custard, caramel or a sweetened fruit sauce (I didn’t serve with any sauce because the Nutella inside was enough).

Yep, that's good stuff.

Last, but definitely not least. Here’s a chocolate chip cookie that I also decided to steam last minute, from dough that I had frozen. Unfortunately I only had space to do one single cookie and I kind of regret that… It was quite interesting. It obviously didn’t have the crunchiness I love, but it was moist, cakey and chewy.

I don’t know if it was all this steaming yesterday, but today it’s steaming hot here! I leave you with the cookie and I’m off to the beach!

51 comments:

Renata said...

I love your idea! wow.... this is mouthwatering! I love Nutella!

Rachel said...

wowo that just got me craving for these goodies now....

shelley c. said...

Wow. Those look FANTASTIC. I love the idea of the scoop of peanut butter/nutella inside the steamed cake - that just sounds so rich and decadent and delicious, I just may have to try it!! YUM. Awesome job on the challenge.

Cristine said...

I want a bite of all three! Great job!

bakingit said...

Oh peanut butter cup is such a good idea! Well done!

jose manuel said...

Estupenda receta, se ve maravillosa. Un saludo

Wic said...

it looks absolutely delicious and stunning and I just love your version of puddings.

Kitten with a Whisk said...

O.M.G. that looks so so so good.

Sue said...

I really love your method on this one. That was such a great idea to put the peanut butter inside. I am sure that tasted as good as it looked. I may have to try this one. ::)

tariqata said...

My mind is stuck on the peanut butter cup pudding. I just can't get past that; it sounds so amazing.

The others look good too, and I love the steamed cookie, but the peanut butter cup is genius!

Ruth H. said...

I never would have thought to steam a chocolate chip cookie...! I might have to give that a try... That peanut butter cup pudding is calling to me - and if my husband sees it he will be begging for it, too! Great work!!!

Maya said...

I love those molten centers! They all look delicious!

MeetaK said...

oh i'll have one of each please. these look divine!

Charlotte said...

Wow! That's a very beautiful pudding. I applaud your creativity. I'm definitely inspired with your pudding. :)

Nichi said...

They all look incredible... but the chocolate pb one... omg yum!

Bob said...

Holy crap, those all look wicked good. I love the chocolate peanut butter one in particular. Man, now I need to go steam a pudding. Heh.

Jessica said...

I love the flavors you picked...hmm..so wishing I would have done the sponge method instead! Yours looks delish!

Maggie said...

They all look great! I wish I had tried steaming some of my frozen cookie dough!!

Swathi said...

I liked both version your pudding. they looks really yummy.

Lucie said...

Steaming cookie dough...definitely intriguing! Overall, would you say steaming adds an extra something to your desserts, or would they have been just as nice taste-wise if you'd made more classic oven-baked molten cakes?

outoftheoven said...

Holy cow, these all look so amazing! I love your creativity! Great job with the challenge!

Baking Addict said...

Love peanut butter and nutella. Tough choice but I think the peanut butter wins. All 3 are amazing though. Great job!

Anna said...

OMG this is AWESOME! I'd loooove to try the Nutella one.

Audax said...

How good are you they all look amazing but the chocolate chip cookie is my fav but nutella is also and PB is also what a wonderful trio you made love them all. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Cakebrain said...

Fabulous! I love Nutella! and Steaming is wonderful way to make cake!

Lisa said...

Oh, YUM!

discount coupons said...

Its looks absolutely delicious can you give me a one bite.. yummy.

Katrina said...

Hmmm, which of the three do you think I'd take? CCC all the way.
But the other two, also favorite flavors of mine! Yum-me!

FFichiban said...

Yuuummmmmm!! Gorgeouuuss all of the flavours! But esp the PB cup hee hee tho nutella and CCC are also very very awesome

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Love the idea of self-saucing puddings!!!!! superb combinations too

laviana ( Fely) said...

tremendooooo!! me gustan todos...esa es mi desgracia..jje.
Bexinos

The Betz Family said...

Those are amazing! I love the different flavor combos you did. So fun but also easy. Nice job on the challenge!

Anonymous said...

your puddings look amazing! I will have to try your idea with the peanut butter. One questions, what is vanilla cake crumbs. I have just never heard of that, maybe i have and its just called something different. Great job on the challenge

Maria said...

Mmmm. I want to taste them all!

Téia said...

DARLING, suas receitas são sempre um escândalo e o nosso gosto é parecido, não sei se gosto mais da idéia da pasta de amendoim ou do recheio de nutella, aff. Maravilha!
Congratulaciones!

Aparna said...

Very unusual and interesting, as usual.
I'm having a hard time choosing between the peanut butter and the nutella.

Gala said...

YUUUM!
These are my favorite flavors of this month challenge!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Love the gooey inside shots!

Jen said...

That's very interesting! I've always wondered how to get the soft centers in the middle!

Jannett said...

Great photos... love the combination of these pudding cakes... :)

CookiePie said...

Beautiful and I LOVE your flavor combos!!

Dolce said...

mm... nutella... I am in love already! This technique is intriguing indeed.

pigpigscorner said...

Oh my...they all look so good, I can't choose!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I don't think I could pick between the PB cup and the Nutella. YOu have two of my favorite things: nutella, hazelnuts, and chocolate-pb.

I've always wanted to try bakign with real lard. Unfortunately, my local market only sells lard that's been hydrogenated.

. said...

you are so handy to have around. i love to learn from you.

CaSaundraLeigh said...

So creative and the pictures make me just want to reach in the screen and grab some--yum!

Chef Aimee said...

Ok choosing one of these puddings would be like choosing a favorite child - one is as special as the other! MMM! I would taste the peanut butter first, though! LOL

Eliana said...

This looks incredible!!!!

Jennifer said...

WOW soooo incredibly drool worthy!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh I'm loving the gorgeous molten centre Rita! :D

Téia said...

Oi querida, nem acreditei quando vi teu comentário no meu blog. Você fala português? Que jóia, é que meu inglês é fraco e não dá para comentar. Queria te agradecer pela visita e comentário e dizer que sou tua fã. Venho sempre aqui e suas receitas são fantásticas e originais. Um dia vou fazer seu cheesecake com ferrero rocher e nutella, deve ser tudo de bom. Bj grande.